Property taxes are collected by the Treasurer's office in two installments. The first installment is due by September 30th and the second installment is due by March 31st. Taxes being collected are for the previous tax year which spans July 1 through June 30.
- September Payment: This payment is collecting for July 1 - December 31 of the previous year.
- March Payment: This payment is collecting for January 1 - June 30 of the previous year.
- Mobile Home Taxes: These taxes are different in that they are collecting for the current year, July 1 - December 31.
- One tax statement is sent out annualy which contains both of your payment stubs for the year. The statements are generally mailed during the middle of August each year.
- Property tax payment can be made by cash, check, e-check, or credit card.
- You can also pay taxes online at www.iowataxandtags.gov
- A service delivery fee is charged for payments made by e-check or credit card. This fee is what allows this service to be available to the county.
- Credit card types accepted are Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
- Returned checks will be charged a returned check fee of $25.00 and a certified mail fee. Another fee of $25.00 may also be charged if it becomes necessary for the county Sheriff's department to retrieve items such as vehicle plates.
- The September payment is delinquent as of October 1.
- The March payment is delenquent as of April 1.
- The one exception is if September 30 or March 31 lands on a weekend or holiday. The next business day will be given to pay without penalty.
- Penalty for late taxes is 1.5% per month calculated on the base tax amount. (IA Code 445.39)
- A $4.00 cost will be added to any parcels still delinquent as of May. This cost covers the fees associated with publishing the delinquency in a local newspaper. (IA Code 446.10)
- A tax sale will be held on the third Monday in June each year. This is a public sale of all parcels on which taxes are still delinquent as of the date of the tax sale. (IA Code 446.7) See tax sale information below.