Iowa Newborn Birth Certificate Wallet Cards issued
from 1993 through 2009 Exchange Offered
The Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Health Statistics is taking steps to exchange any newborn Iowa birth certificate issued from May 1993 to October 2009 where the birth certificate is a small wallet-size card that was printed as a perforated attachment to a larger document. The newborn birth certificate wallet cards issued during this time period did not contain enough vital record information to be used for identification purposes, essentially making them less valuable for the purpose they are intended to be used for.
The newborn birth cards may be exchanged by mail or in person with the Bureau of Health Statistics, 321 E. 12th St., Lucas State Office Building, Des Moines, Iowa 50319 using the following steps:
• Download the Application for Certified Copy of Iowa Vital Record from http://www.idph.iowa.gov/health-statistics/request-record
• Open Application for Copy of Birth Certificate link and print document;
• Complete the application, including notarized signature;
• Return application, copy of driver’s license and original newborn birth certificate wallet card in person or by mail.
Due to the number of certificates to be replaced, it is expected to take four to six weeks to receive the replacement birth certificate via mail from the Des Moines office. In-person requests will be completed in a timely manner and in the order they are received.
The Montgomery County Recorder will also assist with these exchanges using the following steps:
- Complete the Application for Copy of Birth Certificate (applications are available in Recorder’s office) or complete and print from: Copy of Birth Certificate
- Have your signature notarized (can be notarized in Recorder’s office). Submit original wallet sized birth certificate for exchange.
If you have questions, contact the Recorder’s office at 712-623-4363.